Proposed themes for this year’s issues
Vol. 30 No. 1 – March 30, 2017
Submission due date: March 1 and April 15
Sustenance implies minimum nou
Vol. 30 No. 2 – June 30, 2017
Theme: To come shortly
Submission due date: June 1 and July 15
Vol. 30 No. 3 – September 30, 2017
Theme: To come shortly
Submission due date: September 1 and October 15
Vol. 30 No. 4 – December 15, 2017
Theme: The Literature Issue: To come shortly
Submission due date: November 15 and January 1
Montréal Serai is always soliciting new ideas and materials from outside its geographical purview, on arts/culture/politics. Articles should be well written and not exceed 3,000 words.
We accept reviews of all kinds, covering arts, politics, culture, music, literature and film. We also accept political cartoons. We’re open to new information and regard every submission with the utmost respect.
Montréal Serai respects access copyright understanding on intellectual property rights. We do not publish without the permission and acquiescence of the writer.
See Submission Guidelines below.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments in general: email@example.com
P.O. Box #72,
Canada H4A 3P4
Montréal Serai welcomes your own original submissions of prose, poetry or fiction, which may not exceed 3,000 words. It reserves the right to reject any submission that does not meet its standards or mandate, and will not entertain violent or sexually explicit material or material that does not respect human dignity or that offends minorities on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disability or personal beliefs.
A maximum of eight photographs will be allowed in the case of visual art in jpeg, pdf and tiff files. Videos should be in mpeg format and compressed. Submissions should be made in the body of the email or in an attachment thereto. Snail-mail submissions are also accepted and must include an email address for acknowledgement and urgent communication. Photographs and texts will not be returned unless accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope. If the contributor is found to have violated Montréal Serai guidelines, the submission will be withdrawn from the issue.
Montréal Serai is a digital magazine with universal, free access. Readers may request a free subscription for advance notifications. Although the editorial team volunteers its time, it is our priority to pay contributors with the remainder of funds from grants from the Canada Council for the Arts (after operating expenses are taken care of). Ex gratia honoraria are provided at the discretion of the editorial board for accepted and published work.
Although we welcome experiments in language and deliberate lapses, contributions will be subject to rigorous standards of editing.
Submission deadlines are March 1 (push April 15), June 1 (push July 15), September 1 (push October 15) and November 15 (push January 1). Publication begins at the end of those months (or mid-December for the literature issue), with regular updates of articles to the site over the course of the following month.
Kindly send an author’s biography of no more than 25 words. By submitting via email or snail mail, the author is deemed to have accepted Montréal Serai’s terms and conditions. Snail-mail submissions must be signed by the author, otherwise they will not be entertained.
By submitting to Montréal Serai, the contributor acknowledges and accepts the following policies.
Copyright on original pieces published at Montréal Serai remains with the contributor, with two provisos:
- If reprinted elsewhere, a note crediting original publication at Montréal Serai should be included.
- Montréal Serai reserves the right to republish the article in the future. Every attempt will be made to advise the contributor at that time.
- Right to refuse interviews: A person may refuse to participate in a discussion or interview. Montréal Serai does not require that any reason be given.
- Interview use: Prior to an interview, the Montréal Serai interviewer must inform the interviewee about the use of the interview. The interviewee will not necessarily be contacted about further uses of the material. However, where possible, the interviewee will be given the chance to review the article prior to publication.
- Notification of the start of the interview: The Montréal Serai interviewer must clearly indicate to the interviewee the start of the interview. Material collected from that interviewee before the start of the interview may not be used without prior consent of the interviewee.
- Payment to interviewees: Montréal Serai does not pay interviewees.
- Disagreement about publication: Once material has been recorded (digitally, by hand, or by other means) by Montréal Serai, final decisions on publication of the material remain at the discretion of Montréal Serai’s editorial board. It is understood that the interviewee has assented to publication of the material by participating in the interview at the time of recording.
Our website serves as an archive of the work done by Montréal Serai. Any submission will thus be archived for posterity.
Montréal Serai may sometimes provide a link to websites that do not share its editorial view but provide useful insights. Montréal Serai is not responsible for the content on these sites.
Content sharing with other online publications:
Montréal Serai content may be linked to other organizations or reprinted with the consent of Montréal Serai’s editorial board, providing that full credit and linking to Montréal Serai is included. Rights to the reprinted pieces remain with the author.
Montréal Serai clearly credits other publications when material is reprinted from another source.
Warranties, representations, indemnities:
The Writer warrants and represents that:
(i) all of the Work shall be wholly original, except as to matters within the public domain
(ii) none of the Work shall infringe upon or violate the rights of privacy or publicity of, or constitute defamation against, or violate any common law or any other rights of, any person, firm or corporation.